Landlords who decide not to use a letting agent should choose their tenants very carefully, and consider referencing. Before signing up a tenant, we recommend landlords have a legally drawn-up Tenancy Agreement.
There is also a handy checklist available here for letting a property.
- Are they employed on a permanent or temporary contract? You can check this with their employer.
- Complete an affordability assessment.
- Check their creditworthiness.
- If they are self-employed, ask to see their accounts for the last three years or an accountant’s reference. If you are still not satisfied, insist on six months rent in advance.
- Verify their signature against their passport of driving licence.
- Check their previous addresses against utility bills from the last three years.
- Request a reference from any previous landlords.
- If they are from overseas, can you see their work permits?
Contact us if you are concerned about any part of the process.